Monday, August 4, 2014

Week 10 (First Week in the Field)

你好!

What a blast it has been.  Things has been going by so fast and I don't know where to even start.  Probably the biggest thing I am working on, is getting over jet lag.  But the only thing is that I am not sure if the reason that I am tired is because of the jet lag or if it is just the side affect of being a missionary.  At this point, I am starting to think that it is the affect of being a missionary.

Just after getting off the airplane and going through customs, we got to meet our Mission President and his wife.  They are both really nice and fun.  The only thing that threw us off when we meet them is that they look really different from their photo online and the one they sent us in our packet.  

The first couple of days, when we got here to the mission field was spent at the mission home.  We went through a lot of information classes, and had a few activities.  Two of the activities we did was ran to Jiang Zhong ZhengMemorial Hall, which is about a 10 minute jog away from the mission home.  And what a better way in Taiwan to start, but when it was pouring rain outside.  By the time we got to the Memorial Hall, we were completely drenched.  It was actually pretty fun.  After we got back from the run, we went back to the mission home for breakfast.  The second big activity was going to the Grand Hotel in Taipei, which looks extremely Chinese, where the dedicatory prayer was given dedicating Taiwan for spreading the gospel.  It was really a cool experience.  The other cool thing that I found out was that China has already been dedicated as well, back in 1954 in Beijing.

During those first few days, the heat was not too bad.  We were always inside doing things, so we had air condition.  Although, with that being said, we could definitely tell who had never been to humid climates before.  My old companion, Elder Love, as we were going to bus from the airport, looked like he had just stepped out of a sauna.  His face was dripping with sweat.  It was really kind of funny.  Now though, that I have gotten to my area, I am starting to be that way too.  The only thing that I have noticed is that it is really bad when you move from one temperature to another temperature, inside to outside or outside to inside.

Now for the cool part, after those first few days at the mission home, it was time for us to find out who was going to be our trainers and where we were going to be serving.  At the transfer meeting, it was pretty fun.  We got to introduce ourselves, then President Day gave a little more information about us, and then we found out who we were going to be serving with and where.  I was assigned to serve with Elder Meeks in 苗栗 (Miao li), which is nearTaicheng.  It is about a 2 hour train ride from Taipei, which is not nearly as far away as some of the other elders that came in with me.  One of the other Elders that came with me got sent as far away as possible, which is a 6 hour train ride.  It is on the east coast as far south as you can go.  Surprisingly enough, I had already been companions with him temporarily for our first contacting event.  We went as a temporary companionship and contacted people right outside of the Taipei 101 building, which was really cool.  The only hard part was the actually contacting.  I definitely have a lot to learn to be able to contact.  Elder Meeks told me, if it doesn't feel awkward or weird, you aren't doing it right.  It felt really awkward, so obviously, I was doing something right.

苗栗 is a really cool place.  We actually have a huge area.  We have the largest area in the mission and there are only the two of us.  Because it is the largest area, it actually means that we aren't able to cover it all.  From where we live in 苗栗, it takes a 3 hour car ride heading east to get to the edge of our area, and we only have bikes, so we won't actually be able to cover a majority of our area.  We also live in a high rise.  My companion has actually told me that we have one of the biggest/nicest apartments in the mission.  Right now, there are only the two of us serving in the area, but Elder Meeks believes that next transfer we will get two more as there are so many missionaries coming in, and they will need to either open new areas in Taiwan or add more missionaries to other areas in the mission.

As for things that are different from China, there is not much difference.  The people are all really nice and fun to talk to, the summers are really hot, especially when you are riding a bike all day, and the driving style is also very similar.  The only difference I see is that I am living in very different conditions than I was at college or at home, but it is still fun.  And also, the food is really good.  Now for food, things are very similar, but I have tried a few things that I saw in china, but never dared to eat.  One of the things we ate, just last night, was the thousand year old eggs.  I am sure people who live in or have lived in china know what it is, but it is a egg that is brown and kind of see through, and the egg looks really dark and nasty.  Surprisingly enough, it actually wasn't that bad.  Don't know if it would be my first pick for a food to eat, but I could definitely try eating it again. 

One other really cool thing that happened this week was getting to hear all the missionaries' testimonies that were leaving on Saturday morning.  It was so interesting to hear how much the mission has changed them and how they couldn't believe how fast it goes.  How it feels like they just got here are can't believe that they are already going home.  One of elders was actually my trainer's trainer, so that was cool getting to meet my trainer's trainer.

For the week, in 苗栗, we have been working on getting new investigators.  We have also been working on helping to reactivate many of the less actives in the area.  My companion has told me that there are about 200 less actives in the ward and the ward only has about 80 that actually attend church.  So there is plenty of mission work that can happen here in the area. Also, one of the other things that is happening is that we are biking quite a bit.  Luckily, 苗栗 is not very hilly, like some of the other areas in the mission, but it is amazing how tired you can get from ride a bike everywhere.  Funniest thing is that one of the elders that came in to the field brought a bike seat that had a good amount of cushioning on it.  I can definitely say that there is good reason to have one of those because you are sitting on your bike for hours through out the day.

Also, in 苗栗, they have a night market on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.  It usually opens around 7 and closes after we get back home for the night, but the food there is really fun.  The only thing that I have found a little weird is the sausages that had pineapple in them.  I guess it is because I am use to American sausages, but the sweet flavor was really kinda weird.

And then for the last event of the week, as I am running short on time, is Church, was really kind of fun and different.  It was fast and testimony meeting, and I actually got called out by one of them members during sacrament meeting.  He said he was going to bear his testimony and the new missionary, 柯長老, would then bear his testimony.  I haven't seen that before, but I guess it was good because I probably wouldn't have gone up unless he had made me do it.  But with the rest of church, I really was working hard to understand what was happening.  There was a lot that I didn't understand, so I definitely have a bunch of work to do before I can actually understand what is being said at church.

Anyways, I have to run.  Thanks for all the letters and prayers.  I really appreciate it and cant wait to hear back from you again next week.

Love,
柯長老
Elder Okeson

P.S.  And sorry about no photos this week.  My companion and I both forgot our little converters for the SD cards, so photos from the area will have to wait til next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment