Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Week 55 - Sweat . . . .

你好!

Well, time has been flying. Just this morning, Elder Huang and I looked at the calendar and realized that transfer are next week. That really shows how fast this transfer has gone by. Also, before you start counting, this transfer only has 5 weeks because of the change in mission presidents, so that is also part of the reason why this transfer has gone by so fast, but next transfer will have 7 weeks, so next transfer could feel a little longer than normal.

As to just jump into some of the highlights from the week, I actually got to teach English class this week in 竹南 (Zhunan) because we had to go there Wednesday night so that my companion could do a baptismal interview. So, it was fun to get to teach English again. I was teaching the beginners class with Elder Dethloff, which was really good. I have really forgotten how much fun it is to be able to teach the beginners class, because they all are still just working on those basic words.

In an email from Nicole the other week, she described how there were weeks on her mission that all she really remembers is the heat. To say the least, this week really felt like that. There was a lot of sweating and contacting. But with that being said, there were also some cool miracles that happened, being that we found some really awesome people. As for one of them, his name is Marco, which was a really interesting contact. Unlike many of our contacts, who don't really believe in God, Marco was the complete opposite. He is an Italian Catholic Priest here learning Chinese so that he can teach the Taiwanese people as well. So, it was really cool to be able to talk to him for a little bit and also share and help him better understand our faith. Only trick now is finding a Italian Book of Mormon to give him. We have Chinese (Simplified and traditional), English, Tagalog, Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, and one other one that I can even figure out, but no Italian, so we will need to see about adding another language of Book of Mormons to the apartment.

As for contacting the rest of the week, we were able to meet some really cool people and find a whole bunch of people that we will be working to meet with this next week, as to avoid the heat during the middle of the day, but we will see this next week how that all works out. Probably something really cool while we are finding is just how now matter where we feel we should go, if we go, we will find. There have been so many times this week we have gone down the most random alleys and nongs (nongs are an even smaller alley, basically speaking they are alleys of alleys) to find nothing, but when we are coming back we always find something. Also, it has been interesting that as we become more humble in finding, that is when we really find more people. When I say humble, I am referring to being out in the sun for 3+ hours finding and just having trouble finding the prepared, that is when we are actually able to find the prepared.

Oh, as for something from last week that was super cool that has to do with working with less actives, our Less active return missionary is starting to come to church again and said he would be willing to accept a call as well, which we are both really excited about. He told us about two weeks before we called to meet, he had started praying for a way to come back to church, and then we were finally able to set up with him. And when I say finally, I mean finally. Before I got to 香山 (Xiangshan) they were never able to set up because they were always calling when he was in classes, but the week before I arrived, they were able to call at the right time and set up a time to meet. So, these last three weeks we have been meeting with him have just been super cool and such a good experience. I feel like it really has been a blessing to meet him and also learn from him. He really sounds like he was a super awesome missionary. We have asked for some advice on a couple of things, and to say the least, the advise has been amazing.

Also, just to give you an idea of our area, since we are the only set of missionaries for the ward, our area is the entire ward boundaries, which goes from the middle of the area all the way south to the boundaries of Miaoli county, so our area is pretty big, but in comparison with Miaoli's area when I was there, is still is pretty small.

Well, my time is pretty much up for the week. Thanks for all the letters and emails. Hope you all have a great week!

我愛妳們,
Love you,
柯長老
Elder Okeson

P.S. Just another reason to show how small the world is, there was a western that attended church this week, and I could have been positive I recognized him. When I finally got a second to talk to him, it all connected. Brother Lewis from Shanghai when we first move to China was visiting the 新竹 (Xinzhu) area, so it was cool being able to chat with him for a minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment