| Beautiful weather in Taiwan |
I don't know how this happened, but this is apparently my last full week in the field, and it was an absolute blast. I could not have asked for a better week to end the mission. There were some ups and downs, but that was what made the week.
As for a little about the week, Monday to Friday was pretty slow. We just had a lot of lessons fall through, and so we were able to find a lot. Elder Jackson and I started Friday night's planning session just looking at our plans not knowing how we were going to meet our goals that we had set. We were working the best we could, and everything just felt like it was falling through. Saturday morning, the miracles came. Over the space of Saturday and Sunday, we had investigators call us up to meet saying they actually had time. Former investigators we had called came to the church saying they were here to meet even though they had not actually set up times with us. To put it simply, on Saturdayand Sunday alone, we had 12 member lessons, which pretty much meant we were meeting with investigators all day. To be honest, Elder Jackson and I still don't know how to explain it all, but we knew that God had His hand in all of it. So even though the week started slow, we were able to end it with a BANG!
As for a few things that happened this last week. On Wednesday, I had my exit interview with President Jergensen. To be honest, I am really going to miss having interviews with President Jergensen. I know he has been called of God to lead the work here in Taiwan and am so grateful for the time I have been able to talk and learn from him. During the interview, he shared with my 2 Nephi 5:27 ~ "And it came to pass that we lived after the manner of happiness." We got to talk about how over this two years I have learned to live after the manner of happiness and how after the mission it is exactly the same. Nothing should change. I am so grateful for the time I have had to be able to serve here in Taiwan and also the people I have been able to meet and share the gospel with.
On Friday, we had the opportunity to visit 陳絨姐妹 (Sister Chen). It was great to be able to visit with her one last time. She is moving back to Japan this week, so it was the last time we were going to be able to meet with her here in 新莊 (Xinzhuang). It has been such a great opportunity to be able to share the gospel with her and also see the changes that she has made, especially with word of wisdom, to be able to draw closer to Heavenly Father. It really has been a testimony for me to see the changes she has made, that no matter what age you are or what background you have, God is always there to help you and give you comfort in those times of needs.
| 陳絨姐妹, our last time visiting her. |
On a fun little note from the week, Elder Jackson and I hit an all new record. Recently, since it has been getting hot, we have been eating a good about of ice cream for meals. On Saturday, for some reason, a large majority of our lessons included ice cream with then investigator. I at 6 things of ice cream during the day. 3 ice cream bars, 2 刨冰 (Cua bing, shaved ice), and a McDonald ice cream sunday, most of them paid by others. I think members and investigators know that us missionaries like ice cream. Also, we have a couple of investigators set up for next week to meet and eat a 刨冰 (Shaved ice) as well. Along with all of that, this week we had five meals provided by members. I am really going to miss all of the members here and also the investigators that we have been able to meet with.
As for two big miracles from the week, they were not what we were expecting. On Thursday night when we were finding, we were blessed with being able to find a ton of prepared people. One of which was a 高耀廷 (Gao yao ting). He is preparing for college right now, and we had an awesome lesson with him, and at the end of the lesson, the most un expected thing ever. An 阿媽 (Grandma) and her 40 year old daughter pushing her mom in the wheel chair come up to us and start scolding us on the side of the road. Elder Jackson and I were completely thrown back by how angry they seemed to be with us. The biggest part was, we were just concerned about 高耀廷 (Gao yao ting) during the entire encounter which went on for about three minutes, then they left. The miracle was what happened next, he asked us "Does this happen regularly?" Then he asked, "Why would people do that?" We were able to share with him more about the love of God and how he has prepared a way for all of us to be able to draw closer to Him through baptism. We invited him to baptism and he accepted and then set up another time to meet. After the contact, Elder Jackson and I talked for a minute and just kind of sat in amazement. We never would have thought that encountering such an experience would actually strength an investigator's desire to understand. Sadly the time that is set up, I will not be able to attend, but I know my companion will be able to help him prepare to make those steps that will help him draw closer to Heavenly Father.
The second miracle was working through one of our recent converts, 葉侃能 (Lance). He has been an recent convert for a while and have been working with him to be able to share the gospel with his family as well. As for a little bit about 葉侃能 (Lance), his cell phone doesn't really work in his home, so we always have to call the home phone, and 葉侃能 (Lance) does not usually pick up the phone. So, we have been able to chat with his mom a lot and his little brother. I have not had an opportunity to chat with his Dad or sister yet. Still working on that one. But on Friday night I called 葉侃能 (Lance) home phone, and decided to ask for his brother 葉侃倫 (I think his english name is Rob, I have only been using his chinese name when I talk to him). Chatted with him for a little bit and then he said he would have time Saturday to eat a 刨冰 (Shaved ice), hence one of the six for the day. Anyways, the lesson went amazing. He came to church on Sunday and everyone welcomed him. When they found out he was 葉侃能 (Lance)'s little bother, it was an automatic "I'm your friend" situation. He loved church and told us, Monday to Friday anytime after 4 he is free and Saturday and Sundays are free as well to meet! So, we will be meeting with him at least once more before I move.
Lastly, this week was the 60th anniversary of missionary work here in Taiwan. On Friday, we had the opportunity of attending a fireside, where the speaker was Brother and Sister Kitchens. Brother Kitchens was one of the first missionaries to come to Taiwan. It was amazing to hear some of his stories of serving in Taiwan and his experience of helping establishing the church here in Taiwan. He shared how the first Book of Mormon was translated, some of the traditions coming from a Hawaiian (Aloha to 早安/Good Morning), baptisms in 烏來區 (Wu Lai), and the challenges that he and the other missionaries at the time face. But even though they faced these challenges, it was through the spirit that they were able to overcome those challenges. And now, because of their work, here in Taiwan, there are now almost 60,000 members, 16 stakes, 2 missions, and a Temple.
I am so grateful I have had this I have been given to be apart of the work of salvation in Taiwan and also share my testimony with the people in Taiwan. I am truly going to miss the people here and all the friends I have been able to help understand the importance of the gospel in their individual lives. The Church is true, it has been restored through a prophet and even to this day we have a prophet that is guiding us and helping us prepare for an eternal happiness that comes through the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Thank you for everything, and I will see you all very soon.
我愛你們,
Love you,
柯長老
Elder Okeson| 60th anniversary of missionary work Display |
No comments:
Post a Comment